Monday, June 14, 2010

Hot, Humid, Home

I’m back. In Dakar. When I stepped off the plane, the humid air slapped me in the face. What a difference two weeks and a few degrees of latitude make!

Paul was waiting…Mr. Cool and Casual was leaning against a wall at the airport, standing out in his Red Cross t-shirt…a big X on his big chest. I spotted him immediately. Even though our language capabilities are limited, I have no doubt this guy missed me and loves me. We laughed and hugged and laughed and kissed and laughed and laughed…all in our babbling pidgin French/English. Our language skills were as bad as always, but we couldn’t stop trying. We understood enough.

When we pulled into our parking lot, the young man Adama, who sells us our daily baguette, smiled and waved and welcomed me back. Hugs and kisses awaited at the house, as Ieta and Suzette were at the door immediately. More laughing about the official Amsterdam t-shirts that I brought for everybody. Then we sampled peanut butter on baguette…because I see a real market opportunity for buerre de l’arichede. Of course, the key is to develop a palette for peanut butter here in the peanut capital of Africa. Tomorrow we’ll refine the experience by adding jam to the PB. And we’ll start working on the creation of our first mango crumble. I’ll let you know how that goes.

It is good to be back. It’s different. And it’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment