Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Nothing Special

Sometimes a day just happens. Sometimes nothing about a day seems important. Nothing captures my attention. There are no big moments, big learnings, big metaphors. We are told that we need to live every day as though it’s our last. Inevitably, one day that will be true. But some days really are kinda boring.

Today was one of those days. I got up. I read the NY Times. I started editing copy for the Hospital of Hope website. I had a couple of really excellent and enjoyable Skype conversations and a few funny email exchanges. I practiced my French with Ayam from the toy store. Now, it’s 7:35. The day has come and gone. I have nothing to report.

The night that preceded today, however, was unusual. We had a bad ass thunderstorm, complete with big wind and lots of flashing and cracking. It knocked out power. It blew in around the windows and doors. It flooded partially my bedroom. It soaked the rug in Paul’s music studio. It poured into the solarium that provides circulation and flooded down into the entrance foyer of the house. It was big and it was wild. It was a little like the storms that blow across the prairie. Raw and raging power!!!

Because of the storm, the day has been pleasant. The humidity dropped, the air was fresh and cool. But other than that, it was kinda boring in Dakar.

No comments:

Post a Comment